What Are the Advantages of Chip Sealing?
Good quality and adequate road networks are essential for enhancing economic and social development of an area. Regular maintenance helps in avoiding deteriorated and damaged paths. If replacements or major repairs are neglected for a long time, you will experience irreversible deterioration which may spread to the other parts quite quickly. It increases the risk of crashes, congestions and traffic noise. Fix the road as soon as you find an issue as opposed to keeping it pending. Chip sealing is one of the various types of asphalt pavement maintenance and repair services and has its own unique advantages. The team of professionals at Canadian Paving Service is committed to providing quality paving services at the most reasonable rates.
The cost depends upon whether your maintenance is preventive, corrective or emergency. A preventive maintenance strategy is the most cost-effective way to extend the life of your pavement. People treat the surface regularly by sealing small cracks or seal coating, even if it is in relatively good condition. Corrective maintenance is a little costlier as you treat patches, ruts or cracks when it is needed. If you don’t go for any of them, you will have to handle emergency situations. You could then go for immediate solutions that hold the surface together temporarily to allow traffic until you have enough time for permanent repairs. Pro-actively planning maintenance is the best way to save expenses and have quality roads.
What Is Chip Sealing and Its Benefits
Chip sealing is an excellent way to restore the wearing of the pavements. Make it a part of your preventive or corrective maintenance program for the best results. The process of the chip seal is similar to the slurry seal. It involves spraying a coat of hot liquid asphalt mixed with 30 per cent water to the existing surface of a prepared base. Then washed chip aggregate is spread throughout using a chip spreader. A pneumatic roller compacts the aggregate into the asphalt before it cools down. Two or three layers can be applied for added stability. The pavement is left to cure for around one to two days. After which you can broom and remove the extra chips from the surface.
There are several benefits to it like:
• It is a quick and easy way to fill cracks and potholes. Compared to filling such imperfections individually, this process gives a smoother surface. There are no visible areas of repairs.
• A sealant that is applied before adding the chips extends the life of the asphalt by several years. It provides a protective barrier between the asphalt and the harsh weather conditions like heat and excess moisture.
• The colour and appearance of the pavement are restored and levelled. It is useful while applying stripes or other markings.
• Chip sealing doesn’t allow water to penetrate and cause damage through oxidative aging of the pavement. It saves you from headaches in the long run.
• It provides safety features like an anti-glare surface which is useful in wet weather driving, a reflective surface that helps while driving at night and a skid-resistant surface. Such features minimize the chances of traffic accidents.
• It adds to the texture and traction. Rougher surface decreases the chances of slipping and skidding of vehicles, especially in winters. It also reduces the chances of ice formation on the surface.
• You can choose from different types of available emulsions to suit the graded aggregates.
• The costs are 15 to 20 per cent less than pavement overlays.
Follow certain rules for the chip sealing to last longer. The weather should be warm and dry as cooler temperatures might not lead to effective spraying of asphalt. Avoid humid conditions as it doesn’t allow the mixture to be set properly. Also, it is not meant for filling deep holes, repairing them before the chip sealing process is better. The chips should be clean and there shouldn’t be any dirt in the aggregate. Asphalt doesn’t cling to dusty or dirty chips.
Pavements in good conditions with chip sealing last for six to eight years, while roads in fair conditions stay between four to six years and roads in the poor state last for three to four years.
Contact us for quality products and services or to discuss the budget and schedule.